Handling Discipline Immediately
As I wrote about in the practical side to discipline, any form of discipline has to be handled as swiftly as possible. As the child ages and gains a better perspective on time and memory, the definition of "immediate" will lengthen, but failure to handle issues in a timely fashion is simply going to confuse the kid. After all, if something is really important, then it should be handled immediately, right?
That even pertains to public locations and special events at which any misbehavior is highlighted in neon green. Kids do better when they have some notice or warning about what's coming, so we've made it a habit to talk with the kids in advance and give them some idea of what they can expect and what's expected of them. That said, it took me time to accept that even well-behaved kids have their moments and I've had to learn that paying full attention at any public event is liable to not happen. I've simply had to adjust my own expectations of what's doable with children.
And if you're worried about what people will think, most adults are appreciative that parents are willing to ride herd on their children. The key is to maintain control of your own temper, so again, adjust your expectations accordingly.
ARTICLES BY CATEGORY
Basics for Dads
- Back to the Beginning…What is the point of raising a child?
- Volunteering: When Did I Become That Cub Scout Guy?
- Redefining Fatherhood - A Response
- A PracticalDad Look at Concussions
- The Virus Cocktail
- Kids and Pot: Discussing the Long-Term Effects
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Bette and the New Educational Baseline
- Driving Up the Cost of Higher Ed: Globalization and the Knowledge-Based Economy
- The Cost of Higher Ed: “How in the Hell Did This Happen?”
- The Kids Are Paying Attention
- If it’s not about me, then who is it about?
- Keeping in Touch as Kids Age
Dad and Mom
- Cancelling Christmas? Yeah, I’m Down With That…
- Is Embarrassment a Disciplinary Tool?
- Controlling Your Kids
- PracticalDad Price Index - September 2016: The Potemkin Village Shelves
- PracticalDad Price Index - August 2016
- PracticalDad Price Index - July 2016: Confirming Deflation
Family / Personal Economics
- PracticalDad Slang: Of Opies, Forcepushing and Duckpecking
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, v. 2
- PracticalDad Physics
- Playing With The Kids: How Badly Do I Want To Win?
- PracticalDad Solutions: Uniform Hooks
- “Do I Have To Go?” Taking the Kids Along
- Dystopia Comes Home
- When School Technology Programs Affect Family Policy
- When Does the Academic Push Become Too Much?